Friday, August 7, 2009

Many iterations of the concept "lost"

there is a large distance
between any two given people
songs have been written about it
"You say toe-may-toe, I say tah-mah-toe"

you and I are like the rest of them
we lie side by side in the dark

in a relationship that involves a bed
there is a cycle, easily demarcated

at first, the two lie entertwined
so happy, at last, to not be alone
welcoming dreams, eager for morning

eventually, though, the two end up
back to back, gripping a soft pillow
or nothing at all, dreading day break

if I had a genie in a bottle,
who would grant me just one wish,
I would wish for the kind of love that,
even through the test of time,
would not find the two of us
back to back

when instead we could spend the spinning silk of each black, starry night
locked in a kiss

3 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful notion, and it's wonderfully said. It inspires me to the thought that two souls can kiss with bodies back to back.

    Hello, Poe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott,

    Of course, I think you are correct about that. Sometimes there is great comfort in a long time love and the familiarity and independence that can flourish there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate how we humans need so much variety and novelty and how the beauty of life and love dulls after time because we think we know it already.

    ReplyDelete

How I Will Change The World

I will make the world a better place.

I will make my life into something beautiful.

I am powerful enough to do whatever it takes.

These are the incantations of a despairing soul, begging herself for forgiveness and freedom from the tethers of the past.