Monday, June 8, 2009

The Gift of Poverty in the Modern World

I will no longer harbor envy and resentment toward people who were born into a higher socioeconomic stratus that I was born into.

They cannot change their history in the same way that I cannot change mine.

I have to work harder, and that is all there is to it.

A lot of the world's best people had to work harder than everyone else.

If anything, my poverty is a gift.

It has taught me hunger and compassion.

Hunger and compassion are two of the greatest qualities that any person can possess. They are also qualities that cannot be purchased. Hunger and compassion can only be earned by fighting to survive, and winning.

Hunger and compassion can only be attained by stumbling through the blackest night, and surviving it long enough to see the new dawn.

If I were the type of person who prayed, I would pray that I always remain hungry, and that my compassion only deepens with each passing day, cutting through me like the colorado river, changing the landscape of my heart to make room for the torrent of summer monsoon rain.

1 comment:

  1. You are out of the closet! You look great and I'm so happy to see you face to face (sort of).

    It's taken me all these years and then some to dig down into and then rise above the foundational layer of inferiortiy complex that seems to come with my Irish dna.

    ReplyDelete

How I Will Change The World

I will make the world a better place.

I will make my life into something beautiful.

I am powerful enough to do whatever it takes.

These are the incantations of a despairing soul, begging herself for forgiveness and freedom from the tethers of the past.