Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Katharine

I forgive you, I love you, and I am not proud of you.

You are better than that. You are better than the life you've built around yourself.

You are allegory, ivory skin, and freckles.

I am freedom, and you are enterprise.

There are so many ways for you to atone, so many millions of colors to shift into - all of it could be so much more beautiful if you just had a little more faith in yourself.

I was thinking about you the other day, about how you used to dance like Elvis, swiveling your hips, turning your right foot on its side in those Doc Martins. I was thinking about how much more comfortable I always was to be in your home than I was to be in mine. I was thinking about your mother, and your cousins, and your aunts - about how they are as much my family as anyone ever could be.

And I realized that I will always forgive you, if only for this reason alone: my heart grew around you, like a tree will grow bark around a power line.

You are as much a part of me as my very own memories.

Aquamarine eyes.

Coal miner's daughter who has always hated the woods.

You're a beautiful girl, and I deeply love you.

2 comments:

  1. "I am freedom, and you are enterprise."

    Made me think of Jim Morrison's "Stoned Immaculate". "I'll tell you about Texas Radio and the big beat. Soft, driven, slow and mad like some new language."

    Also, I love the "grew around you" image.

    Hello, Poe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott,

    Thanks for stopping by.

    When we were teenagers, driving around in Katherine's 1972 yellow convertible VW Beetle, we would listen to The Doors. During which time it was determined that I fit the description of Freedom and she was better suited to Enterprise.

    Goofy code names, but useful, and only recognizable to the coolest of people...

    ReplyDelete

How I Will Change The World

I will make the world a better place.

I will make my life into something beautiful.

I am powerful enough to do whatever it takes.

These are the incantations of a despairing soul, begging herself for forgiveness and freedom from the tethers of the past.